Thursday, November 8, 2007

Vietville


In the 1970s, Vietnamese refugees fled the war in their country and ended up just about everywhere, with the Philippines being no exception. Puerto Princesa City had a relatively large group of refugees who established a small colony, which is now aptly named, "Vietville". Here there is a quaint, but beautiful blue church, homes, a souvenir shop and the really excellent Vietville restaurant, that serves some of the most authentic beef noodle soup around, with all of the basil, sprouts, and seasonings expected. As my stop here came as part of my city tour, I bought Mildred my guide, and Jesus, my driver lunch. We all enjoyed, not only the food, but the beautifully crafted bamboo building, with the elegant pond and rock sculptures out front. They even had squirrels in a cage out by the pond. "BEEF noodle soup" you ask? (see more photos)

No comments: