Thursday, November 8, 2007

Cashew Trees


I asked the city several weeks ago if it would be possible to actually see where cashews are grown. They are unfortunately not in season right now, and so I have to rely exclusively on second hand images to get a physical understanding of this unique fruit. In terms of packaging, Czarina Lim also recommended that I be taken to look at a hand maker of paper, which could be used to develop something nice. No one had been available for several weeks to take me, but upon asking again last week, I was taken yesterday to see both the paper and cashew trees.

Unfortunately, any community which actually farms cashews is several hours away, and as they are not in season, I could not convince them to take me that far. What I was shown though, was several plantations which are owned and managed by the city Agriculture Department, where they grow all sorts of local trees and plants, in some cases to develop and administer new technologies. I was taken to one area where sloping terrain (hillside) technology was being developed for implementation, and at another I was shown many cashew trees, along with cacao, mangosteen, jackfruit and others. The cashew trees must be very interesting to see when they are growing fruit, but it just wasn't to be. I was also taken to an agricultural information center in the middle of nowhere, which no one can really get to (typical here) which has many plots of different vegetables and trees, and at the info center building I was shown information on cashews along with some of the fully shelled nuts, and a list of other products derived from the cashew apple and nut, almost none of which seem to be in development here.

Afterwards, we went to the Department of Science and Technology where we were to meet the director and inquire about cashew processing technology. He wasn't in, and so we will return next week, but what amazed by were the several large posters which outlined the development of Palawan cashew industry, and the other uses for local cashews, and other information. There is apparently, already an initiative in play to promote the development of new cashew products. I have been working on this for weeks and nobody bothered to tell me this.

While eating lunch today, I also ran into a member of the Palawan Chamber of Commerce who I had met briefly weeks ago, and as it turns out, his wife is attempting to develop cashew biscotti and is, herself, involved in promoting local cashew products. We intend to meet again. Working in Puerto is like putting a puzzle together. My only fear is that it will only be half done when it comes time for me to return home. (see more photos)

No comments: