Saturday, October 6, 2007

Finding Your Way Around

Puerto Princesa City is easy to get around. Its urban center isn't that big and there are only really a couple of main roads. All you have to do is stick out your hand and one of a thousand tricycle drivers will compete for your business. The going rate for most rides is about 10 pesos (20 cents), and for a longer ride from the center of town up the hill all the way to where I'm staying, 20 or 30 pesos is probably enough, but usually 50 is appreciated considering how little these guys make. At first coming from a spoiled western country where catching the bus is a matter of waiting, I felt somewhat intimidated by the whole flag down a motorcycle charade, but honestly these guys are so friendly that most of the time it is a pleasure just to take a ride with them.

There are also multi-cabs here. Similar to the jeepnies you get in Manila, the mulit-cabs are small jeep/van hybrids that carry about 8 to 10 people and have regular routes. They are almost always packed, and so far I have found it much easier to take tricycles. Most things are within a half hour to 45 minute walking distance anyway, but the emissions from all of the retrofitted vehicles makes breathing the air on the main roads, somewhat less enjoyable.

What the city is lacking is a good map. Perhaps because most visitors are too scared (or smart) to drive here, maybe they don't think road maps are necessary. I asked at the city hall if they could print me out one, but the guy who knew what he was doing had the day off. I searched for one in town and was told that the tourist info center at the airport was the only place licensed to carry PPC maps. I finally got my hands on one directly from the City Tourism Department, and like the Lonely Planet book said, it wasn't really worth my time. This issue will rise again when I address marketing local products to visitors.

No comments: